This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Jim and I don’t “do” cards and gifts for each other. Instead of buying Birthday or Christmas (or Valentine’s or any other) holiday present on a particular day, we tend to buy items that we would both enjoy — and something that we’ll continue to enjoy throughout the year. Usually, it’s an item for the house!
So we buy “gifts” — things that we want and need — as we go along, rather than waiting for a special day to arrive. Because, to us, every day is a special day… is it not?
Here are some of the gifts we’ve given each other:
We actually keep a running list of “things to buy when they go on sale”. Following are some of the things we’re currently saving up for (or hope to find on sale soon)…
We mostly use this page as a place where both of us can access our “shopping list” from any computer at any time.
That, and the fact that my mom insists on getting Christmas lists from us each year. This page is the closest we’ve come.
Remember, we don’t do gifts — for each other or anyone else under the age of 12 — for the most part. We’re all about spreading time and good cheer with those that we love, but gifts are just “stuff”. And how often do you end up getting or giving something that you/they didn’t want or need anyway? Our theory: save the money, share the love.
Okay, onto our current shopping list…
- Oneida “forte” steak knives to match our silverware
- Extra pieces to our dishes (large pasta bowls, large plates in any colors)
- Nu Wave Oven – convection oven to grill, bake, defrost, fry indoors
- 4-Slice Toaster
- Off-Road National Geographic Maps (in this order: Smoky Mountains, Fontana and Hiwassee Lakes, Big South Fork, Cherokee & Pisgah/French Broad & Nolichucky Rivers)
- Country Weekly Magazine subscription
- Midland NOAA Weather Radio
- Bed & armoire – haven’t exactly found one we like yet
Just for Lynnette
- Photoshop Elements (for when we get our new Vista computer. I already know my current program Adobe PhotoAlbum isn’t compatible.)
- Turbie Towels for drying your hair (QVC #A2687)
- Clinique products – including “Happy” perfume, Perfectly Real Makeup (shade #18G), and Blended Face Powder (shade #3 translucent)
- Grape-scented Yankee Candles
- OXO Salad Spinner
- Commercial quality heavy-duty thick silver cookie sheet (maybe like this one?)
Just for Jim
- The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business Is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson
- Fleece hat that covers the ears (from QVC #F0242)
- RaggTop Jeep Window Cleaner (this brand only)
- RaggTopp Jeep Window Protectant (this brand only)
–> Updated list here
We moved from Florida to Tennessee in 2001. All signs point to the fact that we will probably retire here — by choice. We L O V E Nashville! Our favorite places to live are just south of the City — we’ve had houses in Brentwood, Franklin, and Spring Hill. And we have properties in Leipers Fork, Cookeville, and Lewisburg. This site is where I share my best tips for moving your family to Nashville and/or visiting Nashville for the first time — with the ultimate goal of helping you find fun things to do in Williamson County and Davidson County. When I’m not out & about enjoying the Nashville area, you’ll find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites). To date, I’ve written over 500 articles on this site! Many of them have upwards of 100K shares.