But we decided to take the advice of some of the people from that first article who had recommended Mineo’s for their pizza & wings. So we went there for the first time last night.
I’m just being honest when I say… NO WAY is theirs the best.
What we got:
- a medium white pizza
- a small calzone (with mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, sausage & extra cheese)
- a small order of hot wings
How It Went:
We sat at the bar for about 30 minutes while our food was being prepared.
There were a lot of people in there (it was a Friday). And we liked all of the TVs in there. But the food?… Average at best.
- The 14-inch white pizza came with nothing but cheese for $17.99! It was like eating one big breadstick. (Technically, it’s got ‘ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and olive oil’.)
- The wings ($6.99) were definitely among the meatiest wings we’ve had, but they were just average in taste and came with 4 measly half-strips of celery.
- The calzone, while quite large, was far from tasty. In fact, it seemed store-bought, rather than fresh-made. (And my, was it expensive: $13.44.)
I don’t think we’ll be going back anytime soon…
By the way, we asked 2 different people who were working inside Mineo’s for a take-out menu. Both people went on the hunt for one, but never returned. Alas, we have no take-out menu.
Nor does Mineo’s have a website. What’s with that? (Update: They do now.)
Mellow Mushroom To The Rescue
For comparison’s sake, the day before we had gone to an old standby: Mellow Mushroom.
And, like usual, their 14-inch gourmet white pizza was to die for — in terms of toppings (sun-dried tomatoes, for starters) and price!
Their huge calzones are so fresh-tasting and completely overstuffed with toppings (…$2 cheaper too — we ordered the exact same toppings mentioned above). Instead of wings, we got their small tossed salad ($3), and while very simple, it’s very tasty — loaded with fresh mushrooms and tomatoes. And their Espranza dressing is amazing.
In case you’re wondering…
Mellow Mushroom’s white pizza has: ‘minced garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, provolone, mozzarella, feta, fresh tomatoes, onions, and olive oil sauce’. All of that, and it’s a dollar cheaper!
We’re definitely sticking with our initial list of favorite pizza places, that’s for sure!
By the way, a friend from out-of-town joined us for both of the above pizza/calzone dinners. And he wholeheartedly agrees with our ratings of the pizza, calzone, and wings from Mineo’s and Mellow Mushroom… so it’s not just us.
There’s a new pizza place in town, and they’re giving Mellow Mushroom a run for the money. See why we love Garlic Jim’s Pizza.